I have been using a Vodafone USB 3G stick with my Sony VAIO UX1XN with some success now. However downside is that it sticks out the side and I do worry it might break off (which would be annoying).
I do have a T-Mobile phone and a 3G data plan with them, which allows me to use my phone as a modem. This has worked fine on my Mac, but I decided it would be good to use it with my UX1XN.
However I not having much sucess.
I first tried the Nokia N series software, which required about 100MB of stuff to be downloaded…
This eventually installed, and after I had paired with my Nokia N95, I expected things to go smoothly.
However it failed to make a connection as it said that the modem was being used by another application.
This unhelpful error was because the modem drivers needed resinstalling and the help unhelpfully said that, but didn’t say how to do it!
So after a few attempts, I gave up and used System Restore to rid myself of the Nokia software.
I then tried the standard Nokia software (which also works with N series phones) and alas everytime I tried to to get a connection, the Bluetooth software would case a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).
Using Windows Me I would get BSOD all the time, with Windows XP it was quite a rare occurence. On Windows Vista on the UX1XN I get them all the time, I keep having Windows Me flashbacks.
After a couple of attempts, I decided to use the VAIO Update feature to see what new drivers were available.
So have spent the best part of a day, downloading updates and installing them. The automatic updates took their time, but there were a bundle of non-automatic updates, most of which consisted of:
Install new software
It wouldn’t be so bad, but Windows Vista on the UX1XN takes an age to start up.
Getting there, final update being installed, will try Nokia software again!